Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Embracing the Mojo

For months, I've felt stricken -- lost without my sock mojo. This weekend, however, it came back with a vengeance like I've never felt before.
Allow me to explain. On Friday night, I came home from spinner's group at Cloverhill and picked up a new set of miters I've been working on (sorry, no pics -- it's very boring right now) and tinkered a bit before going to bed.
On Saturday morning, I woke up, poured myself some coffee and picked up the miters. They just weren't working for me. And, out of the blue, I picked up an unfinished object from the UFO pile and tackled the rest of this:
I only had three inches and the ribbing left on my butter pecan Lorna's Laces Widdershin. Pounded it right out and felt pretty good about finishing it (the jury is out on whether or not I'm going to make the match -- this yarn did NOT appeal to me and it's going to be a challenge to get me to cast on for the next one).

Feeling good about myself, I raided the UFO pile again and found another Lorna's Laces sock (notice a pattern here of abandoned socks?!?). These were the Carol Green socks that I started for the Yarn Sniffer about a year ago. I had only completed the ribbing. I started knitting away.
Now, for some odd reason, I had started this one cuff down (I've always been a toe-up devotee). I finished this sock up in record time and immediately cast on for the second. He was positively thrilled when he saw it was done and announced that he was going to wear Sock #1 while he waited for me to crank out #2 (I assured him that this could take some time so he took it off and the sock sat on my shoulder while I knit.) The second sock was finished by Sunday morning and they were deemed "awesome" by the Sniffer.


He slept in them that night and then wore them to school yesterday. They seemed to be the charm that helped the tooth come out :)

Not to stop the momentum, on Sunday after the green socks were done, I cast on with some Fleece Artist for a MocCroc sock from KnitPicks. Let me first say that this is by far one of the fastest, most enjoyable socks I have ever knit. Rapid progress often shows my delight with a project.

Then, that night when I reached the heel flap on the MocCroc, I cast on for some Lacy Scallop socks from Sockbug. I'm not far into this one yet, but so far so good.

The mojo has returned. Along with peace in my knitting mind (and the UFO pile).


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blankets. My, the first tooth gone. TYS is growing up way to fast.

Jody said...

Socks are MAGIC! I'll see you at S&W! (probably buying more sock yarn!)

bySarah said...

Socks are definately contagious. Congrats on finishing up a UFO!! I like the look of your widdershin, but I agree with you, I dont care much for lornas lace sock yarn either. I love the way it is dyed, but it is just a bit too fine for my tasts I'd rather have something a touch thicker and squishier!

See you at sheep and wool!

Gryphon said...

I will indeed be at Sheep and Wool both days! You? We'll all need name tags - how will we have a clue who anyone is?? So many people I want to meet for whom I know only psuedonyms.
PS Please email me so I have your address - for some reason I can barely read a word on your blog and it's really hard to comment. I'm tshrew AT hotmail DOT com