Friday, February 07, 2014

Olympic Spirit

So I'm sitting here, watching the opening ceremony recast and I'm making grand progress on my Olympic feat: a new cowled sweater. All this stockinette is going to get really boring really soon... I'm about seven inches in on the cowl.



I've been thinking a lot over the past few days about the "boycott the Olympics" pleas from all over--whether it's because of politics, of poor facilities (honey, anyone?), or because Pussy Riot says to. Now I can't necessarily dispute these concerns, but at the heart of it all, aren't the Olympics about the athletes? The whole point is to cast aside differences and play together...nicely.

And so I watch. Because it isn't about Putin, or Obama, or dogs, or hotels. It's about the athletes who work their tails off to get to this point. It's about celebrating achievements together--even amid conflict. It's a lesson more playgrounds should heed.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: