Sunday, June 11, 2006

A Wheel of My Own

Folks, the deed has been done. Yesterday, I took the plunge.



So here's a picture of the final product -- it took an hour or so to put together (had to get some help from hubby for the the actual wheel addition).


And of course, the Lazy Kate -- which will be the first thing to get finished. I don't know if I want to stain or paint.

And finally, the fruit of my labors.

This process is so much faster than a spindle, but admittedly, there's definitely a learning curve. In some ways, I feel like I'm back to square one. But in others, I think I've been spotted a few points. I think I'm going to liken it to learning to drive a stick-shift as a brand-new driver as opposed to learning with a few years of experience under your belt. As a new driver, things are complicated -- you're trying to learn where the turn signals and headlights are, figure out the pedals and at the same time watch everyone else around you and obey traffic laws. When you already know how to drive, it's easier to learn the manual transmission. It doesn't mean that you stall any less, or that you don't shift improperly at first, it's just a little less mentally stressful, I think. Going from a hand spindle to a wheel is kind of the same thing. This first yarn is slubby and inconsistent (and way over twisted), but it isn't a bad start. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Congrats on the new addition!

Maybe you'll knit again . . .

Wendy