Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Wendy on Wendy

Dear Wendy,

With much anticipation, I headed to Arundel Mills at lunchtime to pick up a copy of your book. I managed to snag the only copy on the shelf (not sure if they only ordered one copy, or if it was simply almost sold out -- I prefer to think the latter, as you do). And so I commence with my commentary ... after many scans and readings over my afternoon commute (stuck in traffic), dishwashing (not an errant drop fell), and sitting with my youngest while he finished his dinner (after spending the entire time the rest of us were eating complaining about his lima beans). Finally, after dinner, I found a quiet 10 minutes and read the introduction twice.

Now I admit, I was a little worried ... I read your blog every day, and it boggles my mind what you are able to accomplish with teensy tiny sticks on a regular basis. I was worried that by buying your book I was committing myself to a tricky Wendy design. I've admired you from afar (not that far, I'll bet we're less than 100 miles apart) after stumbling on your site from a feeble google search for "Wendy" and "Knit" (it's a name thing). But you did not let me down ... in fact, I'm feeling rather buoyed right about now.

To start, let me first say that I too am a "Quasi-Leftie-Untensioned-Picker-Knitter," which is not to be confused with a One-Eyed, One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater. I'm no lefty (though my littlest is), but I was taught by a left-handed knitter who didn't know how to do a long-tail cast on. I too used to spend way more time than necessary casting on with two sticks.

I think we may be kindred spirits, and I really, really hope to track you down one day soon (perhaps at Sheep and Wool) or catch you one day on the subway.

I can't wait to start some of the patterns ... you just make even the most complicated seem so very, very doable.

You are truly the queen to the KOARC.

Love,
WendyI

No comments: